The recipe for Peaches and Cream Loaf posted during the 2014 peach season is absolutely delicious. So why am I posting another recipe for peach bread this year?
Simple, this loaf has less sugar, uses oil instead of butter, buttermilk instead of cream and is topped with streusel which compliments the not overly sweet side of this bread.
I almost didn’t try the recipe questioning the minimal oil and sugar quantities but it was interesting enough to try out.
Of course, seasonal peaches take this loaf over the top adding moistness and true essence of peach throughout.
Passing over this recipe would have been a missed opportunity to discover a very different but equally delicious Peach Loaf.
Here’s to peach season!
Peach Streusel Bread
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
6 Tbsp brown sugar
1 cup diced peaches
1/2 cup sliced peaches
1/4 cup rolled oats
3 Tbsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp chilled unsalted butter, diced
- For the streusel topping whisk together oats, brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl, using a pastry cutter cut butter into mixture until it forms coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and place a baking sheet in oven; spray 2 (5 and 3/4 inch by 3 and 3/4 inch) loaf pans or 1 (9X5 inch) pan with nonstick spray.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl and make a well in the center of the mixture.
- Whisk together buttermilk, egg, vegetable oil and brown sugar in a medium bowl.
- Add to flour mixture and stir just until combined. Gently fold in diced peaches.
- Divide batter evenly between loaf pans and arrange sliced peaches on top. Sprinkle with streusel.
- Place pans on preheated baking sheet and bake, for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely on wire rack.
Notes, Tips and Suggestions
- I’m thinking this recipe would make some very good muffins as well.
More peach recipes…