Making a Fruit Crisp isn’t new to me. Peach, Apple and Pear Raspberry are a few we enjoy especially when the fruit is in season.
Seems I’ve never made Cherry Crisp before since no recipe could be found in my collection. However, the Crisp recipe posted has been my go to recipe for years. After trying several different versions over the years this one has won a place in my permanent recipe file.
Finding a good cherry filling recipe wasn’t as easy as I thought it would be. Many of the recipes were over-complicated with too many ingredients and way too much sugar.
In the end, I put together a recipe of my own, uncomplicated, not overly sweet and all about the fresh cherries.
Not bad, think I’ll keep the recipe!
1/2 cup butter, melted (measure then melt)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract
4 cups washed and pitted cherries
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon pure almond extract
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon corn starch.
- In large mixing bowl combine oats, flour and brown sugar.
- Add melted butter and combine until crumbly. Set aside.
- Place pitted cherries into a bowl.
- Add granulated sugar, corn starch and almond extract, mix well.
- Place mixture into an 8×8 inch baking pan and cover completely with the crisp topping.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree F. oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until topping is golden and juices from cherries start bubbling through.
- Remove from oven and cool on rack.
Notes, Tips and Suggestions
- Delicious served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or ever so slightly sweetened whipped cream.
- Enjoy warm, room temperature or even cold.
Cherries seem to be plentiful this year, if you have extra cherries on hand try this Cherry Coffeecake. It’s delicious!