While searching for a different but simple way to prepare chicken breast I came across this very interesting recipe.
There’s no shortage of recipes when it comes to chicken of course but ending up with something juicy and tender when it comes to the breast portion can be a challenge.
I’ve had very good chicken spiedini and some much less than good. Although having doubts about the success of this recipe, especially the part about grilling them on the barbecue rolled in all those bread crumbs I just had to give them a try.
Turns out they are the best chicken spiedini I’ve ever tasted! Certainly different but juicy, tender and tasty.
These take no more than ten minutes on the grill, just enough time to cook through and release the flavours of garlic, cheese and lemon zest.
About the bread crumbs…I wondered about those as well. It seems they do a great job of capturing all those juices that would otherwise be lost in the grill.
4 boned chicken breasts
2/3 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
salt and pepper to taste if using plain bread crumbs
1/3 cup grated cheese
1 tablespoon Italian parsley, finely chopped
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter, melted
- With knife slice through breast lengthwise but not right through. (butterfly) This will give you a larger surface to work with when preparing the spiedini.
- If using wooden skewers allow to soak in water for at least an hour.
- Place chicken breasts between sheets of plastic wrap and gently pound with mallet until very thin, about 1/8 inch.
- Mix together bread crumbs, cheese, parsley and garlic in a shallow dish.
- Add salt and pepper to taste if using plain bread crumbs.
- In another shallow dish mix together olive oil, melted butter and lemon zest.
- Dip chicken pieces into oil butter mixture then coat with crumb mixture.
- Tightly roll up, cut into 1 inch pieces and thread on skewer. If using wooden skewers soak them in water for an hour or so before .
- Repeat with remaining chicken slices.
- Grill on a preheated, lightly oiled barbecue grid on medium hot, closed cover approximately 5 minutes per side or until cooked through.
Notes, Tips and Suggestions
- Don’t stray too far from the barbecue when grilling these, they cook up quite fast so plan to spend those 10 minutes or less on them with total devotion.