What do you do with some left over cream cheese from a previous recipe?
You finally make that Strawberry Cream Cheese Loaf you’ve been wanting to make for a while but didn’t want open a new package of cream cheese and end up with leftovers.
Quite delicious, this delicate, fine textured quick bread is studded with ripe strawberries and pecans if you please.
This recipe certainly lends itself to a choice of various fruit. Raspberries, blueberries or even peaches could be very good alternatives although strawberries will be hard to beat.
The recipe instructions suggest allowing the loaf to mellow for a day before eating but it’s not the easiest thing to do!
The decision to bake three smaller instead of one larger loaf worked out very well. One to enjoy right away, one to give away and one to mellow.
At least one loaf got to mellow!
Strawberry Cream Cheese Loaf
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
3 ounces cream cheese, softened (a little less than half an 8 ounce package)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup half and half or milk
1 1/2 cups chopped strawberries
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- With electric mixture cream together butter, sugar and cream cheese until fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, mix in vanilla.
- Stir flour mixture into wet ingredients.
- Add half and half or milk and stir gently just until blended.
- Place chopped strawberries into a fine meshed sieve and dust with flour, shake off excess.
- Gently fold strawberries into batter, add chopped pecans if using.
- Grease and flour a 9×5 loaf pan or three 3 x 5 1/2 inch small pans.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 50 to 60 minutes until a toothpick inserted into middle of loaf comes out clean. The three small loaves take about 40 minutes baking time.
- Cool 5 minutes in pans then remove to wire rack and cool completely.
- Mellow one day before serving.
Notes, Tips and Suggestions
More leftover cream cheese? Try these delicious muffins.