There are so many variations of banana bread, I think enough to keep most over ripe bananas from their worst fate…the compost.
Already having a few very good recipes I’m only on the lookout for new ones that are a little different.
If coconut oil, maple syrup and whole wheat pastry flour are ingredients found in your favourite recipe for banana bread then you have beaten me to this recipe. These three ingredients were different enough for me to give it a try.
After tasting this banana bread before baking it myself, I found the flavour and moistness to be exceptional and absolutely good enough to join my “best banana bread ever” recipe collection.
Although I felt very comfortable using these new ingredients a few changes have been made to the method of preparation which in my opinion simplify the steps.
This banana bread is good enough to be called dessert!
Honey Whole Wheat Banana Bread
1/3 cup coconut oil, measure then melt (or good quality vegetable oil)
½ cup honey or maple syrup
¼ cup milk or water
2 ½ medium or 2 large, very ripe bananas, mashed
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 ¾ cups whole wheat pastry flour (or regular whole wheat)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
Optional: ½ cup add ins like chopped walnuts, pecans, raisins, chocolate chips, coconut, etc.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. and grease a 9×5 or 11×4 inch pan.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. If using regular whole wheat flour don’t sift, use a whisk instead to mix dry ingredients together. Regular whole wheat flour will not pass completely through sieve.
- Beat together maple syrup or honey, eggs, vanilla, milk and oil, beat in mashed bananas.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry and stir just until blended.
- Gently fold in nuts, raisins, chocolate chips or any other add ins.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan and transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
Notes, Tips and Suggestions
- Haven’t tried making this loaf with honey but maple syrup works very well.
- The lower protein content in whole wheat pastry flour gives a more tender crumb. Using regular whole wheat will give a denser loaf.
- Seems whole wheat pastry flour is not available prepackaged in grocery stores but can be found in bulk food stores.
More “best ever banana bread recipes…”
Pineapple Banana Bread
Chocolate Marble Banana Bread