Quick bread and Muffin recipes are among the easiest to prepare with good results. Perhaps reaching for store bought varieties should be left for emergency situations and box mixes should remain on grocery store not pantry shelves.
This week I found myself placing a bag of fresh cranberries into the grocery cart not knowing exactly what I would be doing with them. Cranberries were unheard of in an Italian household during my growing up years. I baked my very first cranberries into Pear Cranberry Squares a little while back and Cranberries also made their way into some delicious Cranberry Orange Scones. I finally decided to look for a good quick bread to bake for my next Cranberry adventure!
Although some quick bread recipes require a few extra steps this Cranberry Lemon Bread recipe couldn’t be simpler or quicker to make. How much easier can it get than mixing all the dry ingredients into one bowl and all liquid ingredients into another bowl then mixing them together, no beater required. Folding in the Cranberries takes less than a minute and you’re on your way to one delicious loaf… or two.
At first I had my doubts about the simplicity of this recipe since the method of preparation for most of my other loaf recipes have a few more steps to contend with.
Turns out less steps don’t compromise the texture or taste of this loaf. Lemony flavour and bursts of tart cranberries throughout a moist, tender, crumb make it good enough for a repeat performance.
My Cranberry Recipe File is growing very nicely!
Cranberry Lemon Bread
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 2/3 cups milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup fresh cranberries
1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease (2) 9 X 5 or 8 X 4 1/2 loaf pans and set aside.
- Coarsely chop cranberries.
- In a large bowl sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Make a well in the center and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together milk, egg, oil and lemon zest.
- Add wet ingredients into dry ingredients all at once and combine together with a a spatula making sure not to over mix.
- Fold in chopped cranberries.
- Spoon batter into prepared pans and bake 35 to 40 minutes checking at around 30 minutes with a toothpick if done.
- Let rest 5 minutes then remove from pans and cool on wire rack.
Notes, Tips and Suggestions
- Orange flavour compliments cranberries as well and substituting orange zest for the lemon will be equally delicious.
- When measuring out the dry ingredients, measure out another batch and store into a zip lock bag. Next time you bake this loaf it will be in record time.
- Placing a piece of parchment paper on the bottom of the greased loaf pans makes removal of the loaves much easier.
- Instead of baking in 2 smaller loaf pans bake in one large pan and adjust baking time accordingly although I’m sure sharing a second smaller loaf would be graciously received.