Here we go again…cherries are now in season. The cherries I purchased this week were plump, sweet, and reasonably priced, delicious for eating and of course just right to try out a new recipe.
I chose Cherry Coffee Cake as my new cherry recipe this year. The ingredients are simple and readily available in my pantry and refrigerator. Although the recipe called for canned cherry pie filling that was not going to happen since I had something better than cherries in a can!
After pitting and chopping the fresh cherries I cooked them down adding a little sugar and corn starch to make a filling as the recipe originally instructed to use.
Cooking the cherries down makes them softer and thickens the juices, just the right consistency to layer into the coffee cake. A little almond extract brightens the cherry flavour while the layer of slivered almonds and sugar adds texture and a lovely finish on top.
This coffee cake is not only beautifully presentable but absolutely delicious as well, truly a recipe to hold on to.
I think seasonal peaches are next, no need to look for a Peach Coffee Cake recipe!
Cherry Coffee Cake
1 cup sugar
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
½ cup thinly sliced almonds
2 to 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
½ 21 ounce can cherry pie filling (or make your own, see below)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9 0r 10 inch diameter spring form pan, line bottom with parchment paper.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking powder and soda.
- Beat sugar and butter in a large bowl until light.
- Add eggs, vanilla and almond extract and beat until smooth.
- Stir half of the dry ingredients into the butter mixture.
- Stir in sour cream then remaining dry ingredients.
- Pour 2/3 of batter into prepared pan.
- Drop pie filling by tablespoons evenly over batter.
- Drop remaining batter by spoonful over pie filling then using a spatula or back of a spoon carefully spread batter over filling.
- Mix almond slices with sugar and sprinkle over top of coffee cake.
- Bake until tester inserted into middle of cake comes out clean, about 60 to 65 minutes.
- Cool in pan on rack.
Cherry Filling (make your own)
About 1 cup pitted and coarsely chopped fresh cherries
¼ cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons corn starch
2 to 3 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Place pitted, chopped cherries and water into a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil then lower heat and simmer until cherries soften.
- Mix sugar and corn starch together then add to cherries.
- Stir constantly until the juices thicken.
- Cool completely, stir in almond extract
- Can be made ahead.
Notes, Tips and Suggestions
- The original recipe only sprinkled almonds on the top, the idea of mixing the almonds with some granulated sugar comes from another recipe with good results.
- The batter is quite thick, when placing the second layer, dollops of batter placed over the filling then spreading it out works best.
More fresh cherry recipes…