There was no intention of baking a chocolate cake this week but this recipe came highly recommended so I couldn’t resist.
If I had I come across this recipe while looking to make a good chocolate cake I most likely wouldn’t have stopped at this one, it just seemed too easy. The flour sugar ratio was a concern that it might be a little sweet but I took the chance that three heaping tablespoons of cocoa were going to balance things out and they did.
As well, the directions were a little lacking but after making a couple of changes this recipe is even easier to follow and I’ve taken the liberty to include the changes in the posted recipe.
A great recipe, easy to put together, intensely chocolate and absolutely delicious! Another one for my chocolate cake recipe collection.
I highly recommend it as well!
Sour Cream Chocolate Cake
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 heaping tablespoons cocoa
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 large egg
1 cup sour cream
- Sift flour, sugar, soda and salt into a bowl.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients then add sour cream, vanilla and egg.
- Beat with electric beater until smooth and thick.
- Spoon batter into greased and floured 8 inch square pan.
- Bake in a preheated 325 F. degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes until cake springs back when touched in the center.
- Let cake rest 5 minutes in pan then remove and cool on rack.
Notes, Tips and Suggestions
- Although the recipe calls for an 8 inch square pan, if you’re looking for a fancier presentation an 8 inch fluted flan pan works well.
- Measure out the dry ingredients into a zip lock bag, when you’re ready to bake sift into a bowl. Add egg, sour cream and vanilla, beat until smooth and you’re on your way to a delicious chocolate cake .
- Only a scoop of homemade Vanilla or Peanut Butter Ice Cream can make eating this cake more pleasurable!
- The actual title on this recipe read “The World’s Fastest Chocolate Sour Cream Cake.” Thought you’d like to know.