There are so many healthy muffin recipes but occasionally you just need one that tastes like dessert.
I think the only ingredients that make this recipe a muffin are the half cup whole wheat flour and yogurt, the rest is all cake…coffee cake!
Ready in less time that it takes to make a whole coffeecake these muffins may not be the best breakfast choice but certainly make a delicious accompaniment to a good cup of coffee or tea!
Perhaps a tall glass of milk will relieve any guilt of indulging in this more decadent kind of muffin?
1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2/3 cups brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon grated nutmeg (optional)
1 cup plain or vanilla yogurt
¼ cup butter, melted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
¼ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup quick-cooking oats
¼ cup brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ cup cold butter, cut in small cubes
- In a large bowl sift together flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder and salt. Blend in brown sugar and cinnamon.
- In a smaller bowl beat together egg, yogurt, melted butter and vanilla until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Make crumble topping by mixing all the topping ingredients in a bowl then rub in butter with fingers until well combined and crumbly.
- Place paper muffin liners into muffin pan and fill each 1/3 full of batter, sprinkle some topping over each muffin then add remaining batter until cups are about 2/3 full. Sprinkle tops with remaining crumble mixture.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of muffin comes out clean, no crumbs attached to it.
- Makes 12 regular size muffins, make only 8 for a good size muffin adding an extra 5 minutes to the baking time.
Notes, Tips and Suggestions
- Batter for these muffins is very thick, I will consider adding about ¼ cup of milk to the wet ingredients next time I make them.
- These muffins have good crunchy crumble, adding 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest will elevate the flavour.