I first tasted this crab salad while vacationing in Florida many years ago and naively assumed it was real crab. I may not have tried it had I known the reality but I’m glad I did.
I’m not a fan of anything imitation especially when it comes to extracts like vanilla and usually don’t settle for anything less than the real thing. However with a tasty citrus dressing this crab salad is quite good and totally affordable!
I can’t say it’s something I make regularly but we enjoy it once in a while especially when served as part of an antipasto spread.
The olive oil, lemon based marinade brightens the mild flavour while celery and green onions add taste and texture. The sprinkle of hot pepper flakes is optional but provides just the right amount of heat to wake up the taste buds!
Although I wouldn’t suggest replacing “real” seafood with imitation crab it’s a recipe well worth trying!
Imitation Crab Salad
The following ingredient amounts dress (2) 227 gram packages of flaked meat. All ingredients can be adjusted to taste and amount of meat used.
(2) 227 gram packages of flaked imitation crab
¼ cup olive oil
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
2 stalks diced celery
3 thinly sliced green onions
1 teaspoon salt
- Remove crab flakes from package and with fingers pull larger pieces apart lengthwise. Place into a bowl.
- Squeeze lemons into a blender, add olive oil, mayonnaise, hot pepper flakes and salt. Blend until well incorporated.
- Add chopped celery and sliced onions to crab then add marinade.
- Toss to coat making sure it’s well mixed.
- Salad can be made several hours before serving allowing crab to absorb the flavour of the marinade.
- Occasionally mix the salad to make sure all pieces are covered with marinade.
- Refrigerate then drain marinade before serving.
Notes, Tips and Suggestions
- Some recipes suggest adding chopped green pepper into this salad, in my opinion green peppers have a very strong taste and would overpower the other ingredients…give it a try if you like.
- For a creamier dressing add a little more mayonnaise.
- Squeeze lemon through a fine mesh sieve to remove the lemon seeds.