I should know better than to browse through an old cookie recipe book and think I’d get away with not baking anything. The only question… which one to choose after viewing colourful full page cookie pictures looking absolutely good enough to eat!
The picture of Lemon Coconut Pixies stood out since I’d made similar looking Chocolate Crinkle Cookies a couple of weeks ago. Of course what could be better than chocolate but the lemon coconut combination reminded me of the Lemon Coconut Macaroon recipe posted a while back. You might say my love of coconut has created a little bias on my part but these macaroons are truly delicious regardless of how you feel about coconut!
Don’t let these Pixies fool you! Their sweet, delicate appearance pack a delicious, chewy, lemony punch, different than the Chocolate Crinkles but just as intense!
Oh sweet dilemma! .…Chocolate Crinkles or Lemon Coconut Pixies?
Lemon Coconut Pixies
¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 ½ teaspoons fresh lemon zest
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Beat butter, sugar, eggs and lemon peel until well blended.
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture stirring until blended.
- Stir in coconut.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Shape into 1 inch balls, roll in powdered sugar and place 2 inches apart on a lightly greased or parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F. oven for12 to 15 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Cool on wire rack.
- When cool, store in a tightly covered container.
- Makes 3 ½ to 4 dozen cookies.
Notes, Tips and Suggestions
- It’s suggested to refrigerate dough for one hour before shaping and baking. I made the dough for these early in the morning but didn’t get back to it for 3 1/2 hours with no problem.
- Don’t over bake or they will be crispy not chewy. When the cookie edges start to firm up and slightly take on a little colour remove from oven.
- Next time I will replace the sweetened coconut with unsweetened.