This recipe for Salted Caramel Chocolate Biscotti was the last on my list to make and completed my 2015 holiday baking.
Although it wasn’t easy to come across a really good recipe, in the end the best of two Caramel Biscotti recipes along with a few suggestions from other recipes resulted in very interesting and tasty biscotti.
Basic biscotti ingredients are quite similar but the flavour possibilities seem endless and it becomes hard to choose a favourite. If you can think of a flavour there’s a way to get it into a batch of biscotti.
It’s been a good year for discovering and reinventing a few good biscotti recipes and rather fitting they have been the focus of this year’s holiday baking.
But now I promise, no more biscotti recipes…until next year!
Salted Caramel Chocolate Biscotti
2 ¼ cups all- purpose flour
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2/3 cups caramel bits (Skor bits work well)
Chocolate for dipping
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
- Beat together butter and sugar until well mixed.
- Add eggs one at a time and vanilla until well combined.
- Beat in as much flour mixture as you can then stir in remaining flour.
- Stir in caramel bits.
- Divide dough in half and on a lightly floured surface shape into two 2 ½ inch diameter rolls.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake in a preheated 375F degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes until lightly browned.
- When cool enough to handle using a serrated knife cut each roll diagonally into approximately ¾ inch slices.
- Place cut side down on baking sheet and bake for 6 minutes then turn over and bake an additional six minutes.
- Cool on wire rack then either dip ends in melted chocolate or brush chocolate over tops of biscotti.
- Sprinkle with caramel bits and a light sprinkle of sea salt.
Notes, Tips and Suggestions
- Brushing the chocolate over tops of the biscotti instead of dipping one end gives you chocolate with every bite.
- Don’t like salted caramel? Omit the salt and make Caramel Chocolate Biscotti.
- Adding about 2/3 cups toasted almonds along with the caramel bits works well in this recipe.