This Blueberry Ricotta Coffee Cake is not to be confused with the recipe for Blueberry Streusel Cake previously posted. Although they are similar in appearance each has its own unique taste and texture.
The layer of creamy, lemon flavoured ricotta nestled between blueberries and crumbly topping makes this coffee cake extra special. Along with the element of creamy texture ricotta adds moisture to an already absolutely delicious cake.
It’s hard to say which recipe is my favourite but if I have ricotta on hand this one will win!
Blueberry Ricotta Coffee Cake
2 1/3 cups all- purpose flour
1 1/3 cups sugar
¾ teaspoons salt
¾ cups vegetable shortening (Crisco)
2 teaspoons baking powder
¾ cups milk
2 large eggs
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 large egg
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Blend together ricotta, egg, sugar and lemon peel until smooth.
- Set aside.
1 cup reserved crumb mixture
½ cup chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans)
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- Grease a 13X9 X2 inch baking pan.
- Combine flour, sugar and salt in a bowl.
- Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Reserve 1 cup of mixture for topping.
- To remainder add baking powder, milk and eggs and beat on medium speed on mixer until well blended scraping bowl constantly.
- Pour into prepared pan, sprinkle blueberries over batter in pan.
- Gently spread prepared ricotta mixture over blueberries.
- Combine reserved crumb mixture, nuts and brown sugar and sprinkle over top of ricotta layer.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F. oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.
- Refrigerate any left overs.
Notes, Tips and Suggestions
- Buttermilk works well in place of milk.
- Confession time…I accidentally missed adding the 1/3 cup of brown sugar in the topping mixture. Except for the topping not browning as much as I would have liked I didn’t miss it at all and will likely omit it altogether each time I make this..