I came across this recipe for Chocolate Cherry Muffins when searching for the Cherry Scone recipe previously posted. How could one ignore the combination of chocolate and cherries and what better time to try these muffins than right in the middle of cherry season!
After considering filing this recipe away for next year’s cherries I reconsidered, which turned out to be the better choice. Not too sweet, tender crumb, deep chocolate taste, a burst of cherry in every bite and especially good if enjoyed while still slightly warm.
This is a good basic chocolate muffin recipe and could easily become Chocolate Strawberry… Blueberry… Banana… Raspberry or Whatever You Want to Add in Muffins!
Chocolate Cherry Muffins
1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1/3 cup corn or canola oil
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup plain yogurt
1 cup pitted and quartered fresh cherries
½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Sift together flour, sugar, cocoa powder baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
- In a small bowl whisk together oil, egg, milk, vanilla and yogurt.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently stir together.
- Fold in cherries and chocolate chips.
- Line muffin tin with 8 paper cups and fill with batter.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree F oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow muffins to rest in the muffin pan for 5 minutes then transfer to cooling rack.
Notes, Tips and Suggestions
- The recipe states a yield of 12 but it makes 8 good size muffins.
- Flour the chopped cherries to prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the muffin.