If you’ve yet to discover the Food and Wine Magazine from the LCBO some excellent recipes have been missed!
This magazine prints 6 free issues throughout the year and along with information on the paring of wine and spirits it provides absolutely amazing recipes. If you like large colourful pictures there are plenty of those as well.
While flipping through the winter issue I came across a picture of these Lemon Coconut Macaroons which left me no choice other than to make a batch. Loving all things coconut I’ve made macaroons before but never with the addition of lemon zest. It’s safe to say I won’t make them without lemon zest again! The oils in the zest brighten the coconut flavour without the lemon essence taking over.
Light, sweet and chewy, a coconut lover’s dream!
Coconut Lemon Macaroons
1 egg white
1 to 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
½ cup (125 ml) sweetened condensed milk
2 cups (500 ml) sweetened shredded coconut
pinch course salt
- Wisk together egg white, lemon zest and condensed milk.
- Stir in coconut until well combined.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Spoon 12 macaroons on the cookie sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Sprinkle coarse salt on top of macaroons and bake in a preheated 325 degree F. for 20 minutes until golden.
- Cool completely before serving.
Notes, Tips and Suggestions
- I used the zest of a large lemon and it worked well.
- A small ice cream scoop neatly scooped out the coconut mixture and gave them a good shape.
- The recipe indicated that there would be some oozing at the bottom of the macaroons, had I not read this before making them it would have caused some concern. Trimming the edges with a 2 inch cookie cutter made picture perfect macaroons. (Trim immediately after removing from the oven.)
- I omitted topping with coarse salt but for those who like the salty sweet combination give it a try.
- Next in-store Food and Wine issue will be on April 29th 2015 (no purchase necessary) or view past issues on-line at http://www.foodanddrink.ca/lcbo-ear/RecipeController?action=search&language=1&recipeType=1