Did I need a new Apple Cake recipe? I don’t think so but there’s something about the fall and seasonal fresh apples that inspire trying a new apple recipe.
There’s certainly no shortage of Apple Cake recipes and I already have a few favourites we’ve enjoyed for years but this recipe turned out a little different than I expected.
And different it is since the texture and density is unlike any Apple Cake I have made.
My curiosity got the better of me and a little research on the subject ensued. Turns out Irish Apple Cake also known as Kerry Cake is technically not a cake at all but rather a bread served warm or cold with a little chilled cream or custard.
It seems to be a recipe from the old country originally baked in a covered black wrought iron pot hung over the fire to cook…I can just picture it now! Apparently back then the category of cake was assigned to any baked good with a little bit of precious sugar added.
Well, this new apple recipe has certainly come with a few surprises, discoveries and a little Irish culinary history.
All in all, sweet apple chunks throughout a slightly dense crumb, topped with a crisp sugary crust.
Another delicious Apple Cake recipe…I mean Bread!
Irish Apple Cake
3 cups cake and pastry flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cups sugar
3 to 4 large Granny Smith apples
2 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons granulated sugar (for topping)
- Spray 8 or 9 inch spring form pan with cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon into a large bowl.
- Using a pastry cutter cut butter into dry mixture until it resembles fine bread crumbs.
- Thoroughly mix in sugar.
- Peel and slice apples into thin wedges then chop into pieces and toss into flour mixture coating the apples.
- In a small bowl beat eggs and milk and add to dry mixture, stir well to moisten flour. (Dough will be very thick and sticky.)
- Transfer dough to prepared pan and flatten top with spatula then sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Bake 45 to 55 minutes until top is golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes then remove from pan and place on wire cooling rack.
Notes, Tips and Suggestions
- I used Golden Delicious apples which worked out very well.
More Apple Cake Recipes…
Harvest Apple Cake http://someoneinthekitchen.blogspot.ca/2012/10/harvest-apple-cake.html
Fresh Apple Cake https://bayberryst.wordpress.com/2016/09/24/fresh-apple-cake/